Improved energy efficiency is the ‘holy grail’ of effective energy sustainability. Having an Energy Efficiency Program Framework is one way to drastically achieve improved energy utilization. Efficiency serves two very important goals:
- Reduced carbon footprint through reduced consumption
- Long term cost structure reduction
Few campuses would say that they use energy as efficiently as they can. Most everyone recognizes that there are substantial further efficiencies to be gained when it comes to energy consumption at facilities. An effective Energy Efficiency Program Management Framework starts with the establishment of objectives and associated commitments, develops a consistent project evaluation framework, provides agency and authority to responsible parties to seek, evaluate, and forward projects, and ensures accountability through transparent reporting and evaluation.
Benefits of Energy Efficiency Program Framework
- Definite and clear commitments help overcome organizational inertia and resistance, provide push
- Consistent project evaluation framework that clearly outlines project viability and helps stakeholders make a clear “Go/No Go” decision
- Assigned agency and authority to responsible parties drives execution of projects by providing clear mandate and empowerment
- Transparent reporting and evaluation which tracks progress against the original objectives provides confidence in program and reinforcement of successes
- Requires consistent, ongoing buy-in from all levels of the organization
- Competition for attention/funding from higher profile initiatives
Energy Efficiency projects are the”lowest hanging fruit” towards achieving an organization’s decarbonization goals. An implemented project can immediately yield GHG reductions and it starts with development of a programmatic framework.
Net SavingsMore Info
Energy Efficiency improvements result in immediate reduction in an organization’s energy spending
Energy Efficiency projects are easy to implement and most utilities provide incentives for specific initiatives. The challenge usually is overcoming inertia and getting started, which a programmatic framework helps overcome.
1-2 yearsMore Info
The initial development of an EE framework and implementation of early projects can occur within a year. Once a framework is implemented, subsequent projects will follow until all savings opportunities have been exhausted.
Low / NoneMore Info
The program development phase requires a brief stage of input from organization stakeholders. Project oversight can be outsourced and post implementation maintenance can be managed through contractors and/or financiers.
That's coolMore Info
A programmatic approach towards energy efficiency creates a culture of continuous improvement and showcases an organization’s commitment towards driving sustainability improvements.
AEP Blog: Why Should Organizations Establish an Energy Efficiency Program Management Framework?
This blog post by American Electric Power (AEP) provides a description of how Energy Efficiency Program Frameworks are typically created and structured. It also explains best practices to ensure success for such frameworks.