SIMAP™: Sustainability Indicator Management and Analysis Platform
Introduction to SIMAP™
We have been working in partnership with the University of New Hampshire (UNH), to launch the Sustainability Indicator Management and Analysis Platform (SIMAP™). SIMAP is a new inventory tool that will replace the Excel Campus Carbon Calculator and the online CarbonMAP tools. Launching in September, SIMAP provides a simple and comprehensive online tool for measuring your institution’s carbon and nitrogen footprint. Why should you be as excited as we are? Signatories will be able to access useful features such as export of inventory data to the Reporting Platform, and will receive access to SIMAP at a substantial discount of receive 40% off the SIMAP user fee.
Want to learn more? We are providing the following upcoming learning opportunities:
- October 3 | 2:30 p.m – 3:30 p.m. Webinar: Greenhouse Gas Inventories: SIMAP and the Reporting Platform.
- Tuesday, October 17 | 9:15 – 10:15 a.m. Presentation at AASHE; A Guide to Using the new Campus Carbon and Nitrogen Footprint Tool.
- Wednesday, October 18 | 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Post Conference Workshop at AASHE; Implementation and Reporting for the Climate Leadership Commitments.
Advanced registration required
Why a new tool?
UNH is launching SIMAP as a replacement for the Excel Campus Carbon Calculator and the online CarbonMAP for several reasons:
- To capture the multiple systems impacts of campus operations by including the nitrogen footprint
- To increase standardization and reduce the fragmentation and confusion that results from offering multiple tools
- To allow for the identification of trends across campus sustainability by tracking and sharing aggregated campus sustainability data in one place
- To ensure UNHSI’s continued ability to support and maintain a dedicated, user-driven accounting tool for the higher education sector
When will it be available?
- Beta testing summer 2017
- Launch in September of 2017
- Transition from CCC and CarbonMAP to SIMAP by January 2018
How SIMAP helps?
The redesigned and expanded SIMAP will offer campuses a simple, comprehensive, and affordable online platform for measuring, reporting, and managing their carbon and nitrogen footprints.
The mission of SIMAP is to continue to help colleges and universities track their footprints so they can meet their sustainability goals as effectively and efficiently as possible.
The tool has been redesigned to provide a simple and adaptable user interface, making data entry and tracking easier. UNH will help all current users of CCC and CMAP transition their data using a simple import function. Our signatories of the Presidents’ Climate Leadership Commitments will also be able to see required reporting fields, and in the paid version, export to our reporting platform.
The integration of the nitrogen footprint extends the scope of the tool beyond carbon, allowing it to account for environmental impacts such as biodiversity loss, water quality, and air quality. In addition, this integration incorporates the nitrogen footprint of food purchase.
UNH is also looking towards the future of sustainability reporting, designing the platform so that new sustainability indicators (phosphorus, water, or others) could easily be integrated in the future.
Will there be a cost?
SIMAP will offer Basic functionality free, while providing a suite of additional useful features for a nominal license fee. This model will allow UNH to cover the costs of continuing to offer and support this tool for the good of the entire campus sustainability community. We also support the basic version through our partnership with UNH. In addition, all Presidents’ Climate Leadership Commitment signatories will have a 40% reduction in costs for the upgraded versions. The basic free version and nominal cost Tier 1 will be available in September 2017. Tier 2 will be available in December 2018.
- Basic free version and nominal cost Tier 1 will be available in fall 2017
- Tier 2 will be available late in 2018
Basic: At no cost, the basic access to the tool will provide the calculation of the campus carbon and nitrogen footprint. This basic access will be available on a web platform where users can enter and store their data for up to two months.
Tier 1: The Tier 1 functionality will be the first paid version, made available with the fall 2017 launch of the updated tool. The license cost for Tier 1 will be in the $350.
Some of the Tier 1 features will be:
- Import and export of all input data, emissions factors and results—for ease of use and manipulation in MS Excel
- Customized emissions factors for all sources
- Nitrogen footprint results based on data entered for GHG inventory (as well as on optional additional entry of food purchasing data
- The ability to add and manage multiple users for one institutional account
- Export to our Reporting Platform for Presidents’ Climate Leadership Commitment signatories
Tier 2: An update planned for FY/19 will implement the Tier 2 functionality. The following are examples of the types of features that may be included:
- “Projections” and “solutions” analysis to assist in Climate Action Planning
- Complete Scope 3 reporting module (based on the WRI Scope 3 Protocol)
- Benchmarking capabilities based on sector averages and peer institutions
- Customizable report templates
- Auto-reporting to other platforms
|Basic||Tire 1||Tier 2|
|Data Storage||2 months||Long-term||Long-term|
|Scopes 1-3 +
|Support Level||Basic technical||Advanced||Advanced|
|Other||n/a||Data review by