For North American research universities committed to climate action and cross-sector collaboration, UC3 is a collaborative coalition that leverages relationships and expertise to accelerate local climate solutions and build community resilience.
There are three (3) types of Coalition lead positions which a coalition member institution can fill for a fixed amount of time: Leadership, Research, and Network.
Liaisons are individuals at each institution appointed by the University Head with the assistance of their appointed Coalition Executive Liaison. There are four (4) types of Liaisons: Executive, Operational, Research and Communications.
- Teaching and Applied Learning: The UC3 is committed to fostering transformative teaching and real-world learning experiences that engage students in studies, reflective practices, and action around climate change.
- Coalition-Wide Collaboration and Knowledge Sharing: The UC3 is dedicated to coalition-wide collaboration, fostering peer learning, and the sharing of knowledge across institutions and with the wider higher education sector.
- Cross-Sector Partnerships and Place-Based Climate Action: The UC3 recognizes the importance of climate action that is responsive to the local context and drives the need for developing cross-sector partnerships that build connections between students, faculty, and staff at research universities and key stakeholders in the community.
- Generation of Useful, Impactful Knowledge and Demand Driven Research: The UC3 values demand-driven research that addresses important gaps in climate action research and generates useful and impactful knowledge for timely climate solutions.
- Institutional Leadership and Integration: The UC3 member institutions seek to leverage the leadership of university presidents and chancellors and build institutional consensus to pursue climate action by integrating academics, operations, and community engagement.
Moving into the third year since the launch of the UC3 at the 2018 Higher Education Climate Leadership Summit, the Coalition has matured and refined its role as an accelerant of place-based climate solutions and leading voice on the urgency of emissions mitigation and climate resilience actions. This strategic plan represents an updated vision and trajectory for the Coalition, building upon its successes and lessons learned over the past two years from cross-sector forums, internal collaborations, and partnerships with local and regional stakeholders.
You can view the 2020-2025 UC3 Strategic Plan here.
You can view a printable version of the plan here.
Read the Report(s)
2019 UC3 Impact Report
In just two years of being in existence, the University Climate Change Coalition (UC3) has taken major action in creating climate solutions to help local communities achieve their climate goals and accelerate the transition to a low-carbon future.
You can learn more about the work that has been done, and the accomplishments achieved thus far over the first two years, here.
Previous to the 2019 UC3 Impact Report, was the UC3 2018 Progress Report, which you can still view and download here.