New England Regional Leadership
Second Nature is expanding climate action in New England through an initiative that highlights regional leadership and provides targeted support for colleges and universities to achieve their goals of climate resilience and campus carbon neutrality. The New England Regional Leadership initiative highlights success stories throughout the region and works to leverage local networks so that learning and best practices can be communicated across New England. This initiative also addresses specific needs of New England signatories through targeted workshops and professional resources.
Second Nature is partnering with the John Merck Fund on this regional initiative. The John Merck Fund has provided Second Nature with generous financial support to expand climate leadership among institutions of higher education in New England.
The New England Regional Leadership initiative aims to:
- Highlight the New England region as a model for climate action among colleges and universities, such that other regions of the country can learn from this experience.
- Increase the connectivity of the higher education network in New England in order to increase learning and assessment relative to climate action goals.
- Assist New England signatories of the Climate Leadership Commitments in accelerating progress towards their goals of climate resilience and campus carbon neutrality.
As part of the New England Regional Leadership initiative Second Nature will:
- Publish blog posts and case studies of success stories and lessons learned from the New England region. Check out our New England focused blog posts.
- Provide targeted professional support workshops for New England signatories of the Climate Leadership Commitments.
- Provide opportunities for New England signatories to participate in innovative solutions and pilot programs that help reduce carbon emissions.
The New England Regional Leadership initiative will be ongoing through December 2016.
This summer Second Nature will offer a program on aligning climate action with executive priorities at signatory institutions in New England. Participants in this program will identify how the Climate Leadership Commitments contribute to the mission and strategy of their college or university. Participants will gain tools for communicating the value of climate action and generating support from top administration at their institutions. Stay tuned for more details.
Second Nature is expanding its Carbon Credit and Purchasing Program (C2P2) in New England. Signatory schools that are among the top 15% of their peers in terms of emissions reductions are eligible for participation in this program. Eligible schools can develop carbon credits as a mechanism to generate funds for further sustainability projects on campus. Read more about C2P2 and let us know if you are interested in participating.
If you have questions or comments regarding the New England Regional Leadership initiative please contact Ruby Woodside at Second Nature.