Grand Coalition Statement on Paris Agreement
We Are Still In
Second Nature helped coordinate a statement on behalf of governors, mayors, CEO’s and college and university leaders declaring that, despite the federal government’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement, the nation remains committed to climate action.
This joint statement is the first time that these sectors have joined together publicly in a strong show of support for climate action that is so vital to the future of our country.
It asserts that:
1. In the absence of Federal support, states, cities, colleges and universities and businesses will pursue ambitious climate goals, to ensure that the U.S. remains a global leader in reducing emissions.
2. In the U.S., the actors that will provide the leadership necessary to meet our Paris commitment are found in city halls, state capitals, colleges and universities and businesses.
3. We will remain actively engaged with the international community as part of the global effort to hold warming to under 2°C and to accelerate the transition to a clean energy economy that will benefit our security, prosperity, and health.
In order to participate, please have the President or Chancellor send a message (or have the president cced) mentioning, “We Are Still In” and a quote that can be used to highlight your reasons for participation to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to confirm.
Participation is limited to accredited, degree granting higher education institutions listed in IPEDS. For all other types of participants/sectors please contact our partners.
A complete list of all participants can be found on the We Are Still In website.
|For Release:||8/17/2017 at 15:30 p.m.|
|Total GDP||$6.2 trillion|
|Cities & Counties||245|
|Population of Cities & States||130 million|
|Enrollment FTE||4.2 million|
|Total Endowment||$114 billion|
|Businesses & Investors||1711|
|Total Annual Revenue||$2.2 trillion|
|Total Assets Under Management||$2.5 trillion|
|Total US Employees||4.7 million|
|Total of >$100M businesses or >5B Investors||220|
See a short video about the scope of the coalition.
Frequently Asked Questions
To learn more about the intent, process, and next steps about the initiative, visit our FAQ.
- Universities defy Trump and sign up to climate action, University World News
- We Are Still In: The plan to keep U.S. in line with the Paris accord, Curbed
- Colleges’ Message on Upholding Paris Climate Accord: ‘We Are Still In’, The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Mike Bloomberg Sends Statement to the United Nations Following Unprecedented Outpouring of Support for Paris Agreement, Bloomberg Philanthropies
- Hundreds of mayors, governors, CEOs and others pledge U.S. commitment to Paris climate agreement, National Geographic
- Trump Abandonment of Paris Climate Accord is Call to Action for Higher Education, Huffington Post
- President Nelson take the lead in push for ‘greener’ world, Sacramento State University
- Paris Climate Accord: AU Says “We Are Still In”, American University
- President Signs Climate Agreement Letter, Goshen College
- Randolph College works on community climate change resiliency program, Randolph College
- “We Are Still In”: Southern Connecticut State University Joins Leaders in U.S. Economy on Climate Declaration, Southern Connecticut State University
- Knapp joins coalition supporting Paris climate agreement after Trump’s exit, George Washington University
- USC President Harris Pastides signs open letter admonishing Paris Agreement withdrawal, University of South Carolina
- David Finegold: A greener Pittsburgh, a better planet, Chatham University
- Columbia Joins Coalitions Affirming Commitment to Address Climate Change, Columbia University
- NYU Commits to Ambitious Climate Goals, New York University
- University of Dayton’s president says school will continue to support Paris Agreement, University of Dayton
- University of Denver Joins Climate Change Initiative, University of Denver
- Penn State backs open letter to support Paris climate agreement, Pennsylvania State University
- Loyola New Orleans joins national climate-change pledge, Loyola University New Orleans
- TCNJ commits to supporting implementation of the Paris Agreement, The College of New Jersey
- Western Tech. president pledges support of Paris Climate accord, Western Technical College
- Pelton Signs Declaration to Support Paris Climate Accord, Emerson College
- Op-ed: We Can Still Deliver On Goals Of Paris Pact, Eastern Connecticut State University
- University of Maryland Joins Grand Coalition to Support Paris Agreement Climate Action, University of Maryland
- Agnes Scott still supports intent of Paris Accord, Agnes Scott College
- President Maloney Joins ‘We Are Still In’ Pledge on Climate Change, Worcester State University
- Rider signs pledge that supports the goals of Paris Agreement, Rider University